Cookies

We use essential cookies to make our site work. We'd also like to set analytics cookies that help us make improvements by measuring how you use the site. These will be set only if you accept.

For more detailed information about the cookies we use, see our cookies page.

Essential Cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as security, network management, and accessibility. For example, the selections you make here about which cookies to accept are stored in a cookie.

You may disable these by changing your browser settings, but this may affect how the website functions.

Analytics Cookies

We'd like to set Google Analytics cookies to help us improve our website by collecting and reporting information on how you use it. The cookies collect information in a way that does not directly identify you.

Third Party Cookies

Third party cookies are ones planted by other websites while using this site. This may occur (for example) where a Twitter or Facebook feed is embedded with a page. Selecting to turn these off will hide such content.

Skip to main content

Summer Show Report 2024

Our 2024 Summer Show will go down as one of the wettest we have ever experienced. Following the very wet spring our hopes for a warmer & drier summer season don't seem to have materialised yet.  Many gardeners commented on how behind their gardens are, with many plants two weeks behind where they would normally be by early July. 

The constant rain on Friday and overnight into Saturday, meant it was an incredible achievement by our exhibitors that we had anything on the show benches at all!. I would like to thank those who braved the elements and searched in sodden gardens for entries. We were missing several regular exhibitors so the number of entries was down on previous years.  We had 157 entries from 20 entrants. 

The fruit classes were good, as were the flowering shrubs and herbaceous perennials. The benches were colourful and the smell of sweet peas filled the air.

As the weather improved during the day, we saw very good visitor numbers in the afternoon. The excellent cream tea was enjoyed by many, although the huge size of the scones meant it wasn't for anybody counting calories.

We had lucky winners in the raffle and Century Club draw.  Tickets were on sale for the social event which takes place on Sat 16th Nov at The Cottage, Upper Bucklebury.  The evening will have a French theme and includes dinner. Tickets are £15.

I would like to thank our judges, Graham Chapman (Fruit & Veg), John Eckton (flowers), Margaret King (Homecraft), Barbara Hunt (floral arrangements), Ray and Alan Woolfenden (Photography) for sharing their knowledge and expertise.

The last show of the year is our Autumn Show on 7th September.  I can't promise the weather will be any kinder, but perhaps you can take comfort from knowing we're all having the same experience.

I hope you all have a great summer and look forward to seeing you in September.

Kind regards

Jane West
Show Secretary

Photos from the summer show can be seen in the gallery below. Thanks to Thatcham Photography Club.